At this point I have tried to transform my idea into requirements.
This has been a bit tricky to do, as it often is with art concepts. At the moment I am still attempting to document: a microscopic organism , a small animal (maybe indoor cat), myself and a plane. Each of these needs a separate method for tracking!
More specifically what I have found so far:
- Outdoor Tracking (of my movements): Could be done with an app in iPhone (there are several around mostly for monitoring children and teenagers ). Only issue is to find (a free) one that allows you to export the path.
- Indoor Tracking (of a small animal’s movements): This is more tricky, but since I don’t care about actual location (GPS style), but rather the movement path, I can attach the phone (!) to the animal, and use the gyroscope / accelerometer (in this way: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBjlE3oTSyQ ). I would probably have to code the app myself, since it would need customization. I decided on OpenFrameworks, and this (links to github) plugin which taps into iphone’s core motion stuff. I still have to get some feedback on feasibility of that though cause I have the feeling it would include quite some maths!!
- The flight tracking: This is somehow under control, I will try to “tap” into the database that the website http://www.flightradar24.com or similar. There are still some parameters to consider for example the longest flight non-spot flight (currently) is between Newark and Singapore (almost 19 hours), which is considerably less that my first conversion table. So maybe I will not choose it to be non-stop or I will just reduce the whole experiment time..
- Microscopic tracking: This is a bit weirder, I have contacted the Biofilia Lab and they informed me that they have a microscope that allows video recording and time-lapse movies which is great news! But I still have to consult them in what is the most kinetic and easily isolated organism so as to be able to easily track it..
Conclusion: I need to do some experiments and research (online and around) a bit more.
As an experiment, if it works it should be very interesting !
I am imagining a static version of this:
(But I am also trying to find plan Bs)